Happy Blog Day! I've been looking forward to this week's blog update because I have started work on the Cocktail Dress project! I received the first box of rings last Friday and started right away, though I haven't completed as much work as I would have liked. I have a super fun sinus infection, and it's challenging to focus on small rings when you're full of decongestant. Besides, is it even a real project if everything goes to plan?
I'm starting with 2 pounds of 16 gauge, 1/4 inner diameter violet rings. These will form the bodice of the dress. I'll use the pewter rings for the waist, and the black rings will become the skirt. I'll use three and seven-strand tube clasps in place of a zipper. As previously mentioned, the finished dress will be approximately a US size 6, though it will r fit the mannequin. I love the color combo you selected. The violet rings are very bright and are going to look amazing with the pewter and black.
Since I don't sketch or draw, I find it's best to make a few pieces of chainmaille and see how they go together. I've made pieces for the neckline and the sleeves and have started the primary section of the bodice. Because the neckline is so high, I'm planning to make the back open; this may also mean that I have to backtrack a little and remove rings.
I'm hoping to finish in about six weeks, but as I said, I'm a bit under the weather, and that's slowing things down. Now for the best part of the update, the project stats!
Total Number of Hours: 2
Total Weight (in ounces): 2 ounces
Total Number of rings: 530
Leave a comment and let us know what you think of the dress so far! I'll be back next week with another update.